Directing and Devising
Stage Directors and Choreographers Society (SDC) Directing Initiative
The SDC Directing Initiative provides recognition, honor, and financial assistance to outstanding student directors who have demonstrated success in direction. Candidates are nominated by their individual institutions, and the institution must have entered either an associate or participating production during the calendar year prior to the regional festival.
At the conclusion of the regional festival, one student director from this program will be selected to participate in the National Kennedy Center American College Theatre Festival. They also receive a one-year Associate Membership in SDC, which introduces each regional finalist to the national community of professional stage directors and choreographers.
To be eligible for the SDC Directing Initiative program:
- (waived for the Feb. 2021 virtual festival)
Students must be nominated by a faculty member from the student’s institution.
- Nominated students must have demonstrated excellence in direction.
- (waived for the Feb. 2021 virtual festival) –
The institution must have entered either an associate or participating production for the regional festival during the year in which the nomination occurs.
- The participant must be a bona fide student at the time of the regional festival.
The National Devising Theatre Project
This event will not take place at the 2021 Virtual Festival
Devising is loosely defined as the process of collaboratively creating a new work without a pre-existing script wherein the collaborators are also the performers. I say loosely because every devising company creates their own method of working based on the subject of investigation and the strengths of the collaborators. Not every company member must perform for it to be a devised piece, but the majority often does. In short, the collaborative creators are also the performers.
- Ensemble will select their sources of inspiration as their creative container (examples: a photograph, a poem, a fictional or non-fictional short story, a memory, interviews, a question, etc.).
- Ensemble will be asked to clearly articulate how their sources informed process and product, form and content.
- Each ensemble will create a unique performance vocabulary informed by their source materials. This vocabulary should include movement, voice, visual image, sonic landscape, text and scenic environment and communicate the piece’s style and aesthetic.
- Ensemble should consider time restraints and travel considerations. These parameters are designed to form a creative container to spark your imaginations and deepen your exploration.
The SDC Directing Initiative and National Devising Theatre Project awards will be presented on the closing night of the Regional Conference.