Throughout the summer of 2019, an ad-hoc committee surveyed regional and national KCACTF leaders from throughout the country about the status of KCACTF’s equity, diversity, and inclusion practices. After reviewing the ad-hoc committee’s recommendations, the National Committee unanimously adopted the Representation, Equity, and Diversity (RED) Initiative which demonstrates KCACTF’s commitment to representation of diversity through equity in our leadership, programming, and practices by:
- 1. Establishing a Representation, Equity, and Diversity (RED)Coordinator on each of the 8 regional boards.
- 2. Creating a Representation, Equity, and Diversity(RED)Coordinator as a member of the National Executive Committee.
- 3. Standardizing and publicizing the pathways to regional and national leadership which will be included on the newly revised national KCACTF website to be launched in October 2019
- 4. Assembling selection, scholarship, and award panels at Regional and National festivals that will create equitable representation of race, gender, gender identity, ability, and sexuality. At least 50% of any panel will be comprised of historically marginalized identities.
- 5. Charging the new RED National Coordinator to facilitate revising the KCACTF mission statement and strategic plan to give greater focus on representation, equity, diversity and create KCACTF promotional materials that can be utilized for recruitment and retention of theatre programs and individuals with a specific focus on equity, diversity, and representation.
- 6. Seeking out a Representation, Equity, and Diversity in theatre expert to lead the National Committee in strategic planning and implicit bias training at the 2020 National Festival.
- 7. Committing to fund the ASPIRE Arts Leadership program on an annual basis
- 8. Piloting a new system of National Recognition of work done at the Regional Festivals which focuses on offering “Kennedy Center Recognitions of Outstanding Achievement” rather than the previous tiered award structure.